Sunday 3 June 2012

Lest We Forget....

I awoke early after about 4 hours of sleep (the sun rises so early here). I was tired but excited for the days events. I was finally going to get do what I had come to France for. I was going to get to go to Normandy and learn more about WW2. I would have loved to have rented a car, drove to Normandy, and spent some time there, but I unfortunately had time constraints (aka I only had one day), so it wasn't possible. My only real choice was a guided tour. I got on the metro, made it to the train station and found my train to Caen with no problems (I haven't gotten lost yet...what's wrong with me!?!). There I met the tour guide and the rest of my group which consisted of six Americans.

We started off at the war museum. The tour guide said that to properly see everything in the museum you would need 67 hours, and since we only had about an hour we basically had to do a quick walk down of the areas that were of most interest to us. For me that was the exhibits on the concentration camps. It was really difficult to see the pictures and read the stories about people who were tortured and killed during the war. Some of it was quite graphic and I couldn't help but get a little emotional. It is such a dark part of history but I think that it's so important that we remember what happened, and learn from it so we can prevent something similar from happening again (yes I am aware that ethnic cleansing and the torture and killing of certain groups of people still occur in some areas of the world. It really is mind boggling).

After the museum our first stop was to Gold Beach to see the artificial harbour at Arromanches. We could see the old remnants of bunkers throughout the area, and there were still artifacts of the war everywhere. I wondered what it was like for the locals to have constant reminders of the devastation that took place there.

One man who changed the world...


 
The next stop was the German gun battery at Longues-sur-Mer. Since this wasn't an area that had a lot of combat so everything there was well preserved. As I stood in the bunker, in the exact spot that German soldiers once stood, I tried to imagine what it was like for them. To stand overlooking the water, waiting. I could not imagine what the feeling of anticipation could have possibly been like, or what they felt when they saw Allies' 5,000 ship armada approaching.





After leaving Longues-sur-Mer we headed to the American Military Cemetery. Even tho I have seen many pictures and videos of the cemetery, nothing could have prepared me for seeing it in person. I have no words to describe the experience. Row after row after row of white crosses. Some with names on them, others with just a number. So many crosses.....and this was just a tiny fraction of the lives that were lost during the war. I left the cemetery with a very heavy feeling.


 

We returned to the bus and drove to my most anticipated location: Omaha Beach. It was dark and overcast, there was a fog over the water, and it was drizzling. Despite this, it was evident that it is a very beautiful area. It was hard to imagine that such devastation had occurred here, except that it had an eerie haunting feeling. I think that we all felt it since everyone grew quiet and went their own separate ways along the beach. Everyone was in deep contemplation. I sat on the beach, looked around, and was overcome with emotion. Sadness, empathy, compassion, gratitude, confusion....and anger. I was told that the average age of the casualties at Omaha was 22-23 years old. These young men (and I am talking about both sides) who gave up their lives...the millions of people who were tortured and killed during the war. I really struggled with a lot of thoughts and emotions on that beach. I paid my respects for all lives lost during the war and then slowly made my way back to the van.

 
Omaha Beach


The last stop on our itinerary was at Point-du-hoc. It was absolutely beautiful and picturesque with fantastic views of the beaches and cliffs. Like all areas we had visited, it was littered with remnants of the war. There were barbed wire fences, bunkers, old artillery laying around, and huge craters caused by bombs.  Unfortunately we didn't get to spend a lot of time at Point-de-hoc. That is one of the downfalls of a guided tour, having to stick to a strict schedule. One day I would like to come back to Normandy and spend more time exploring the area, but for now it was time to go.

 
the Point


I boarded the train back to Paris, and was deep in thought the whole way. No words can describe the day. It had impacted me more than I had anticipated. After about a two hour train ride I arrived at the metro and decided that I was going to visit the Eiffel Tower one last time. I wanted to see it at night and here was my chance. I was not disappointed, it was beautiful. I stood there for the longest time just looking at it, grateful for my time and experiences in France. Unfortunately it was getting late so I made my way back to the metro station. That's when I pulled a typical Terri move. I got off at the right stop but the wrong exit. For the first time since I arrived in Paris I was lost. I was actually kind of relieved. I was beginning to think that there was something wrong with me! I approached a man walking his dog and said the one thing I am proficient at "parlez-vous englais?". He said "a little", then proceeded to talk to me in french. Ummm, I don't know about you but asking someone if they speak English is a pretty good indicator they don't speak french. Sheesh. It took a couple of tries but I eventually found someone who could point me in the right direction.


The next morning I said my good-byes to Yannick then headed on my way. After a 2 hour metro ride, a two hour flight, a two hour train ride, and 30 min car ride I was 'home'. I have to say that my trip to Paris was one of the most incredible experiences I have had travelling. I am not a city girl but Paris is thus far my most favourite city I have ever visited and I would love to go back. When I left for France I was expecting dirty cities, rude people, and perverted guys. I found none of those. I found it clean, and full of friendly and respectful people, willing to help out however they could. Now that I am back 'home' in Sweden, I have time to process my experience and start planning for my next trip. I am not sure where I am going but it should be a great time!